…Building a Critical and Creative Minded Youths for a Sustainable Development
OVERVIEWProgramme Title: Youth Development
Project Title: The August Project [TAP]
A decade youth programme launched August 15, 2017 in Abuja, Nigeria Nation’s capital at the Nigerian National Library conference hall.
- Tailored to address the factors causing the rise of unemployment in the country and to strategically reduce the number of unemployed youth by empowering 1,200,000 Nigerian youth in various asset-based program that would result to high level networking organization to creating more decent jobs and economic growth and to
- Lay a foundation that would have a direct impact on Nigerian government to enhancing its own approach to youth matter towards 2030 when young Nigerians would be the most relevant resources for the nation and not crude oil.
ENTERING POINT INTERVENTIONOne hundred young entrepreneurs enrolled in the category 2.1 of the TAP project to become a multi-networking business men and women for more creation of decent jobs and also fifty youths into category 2.0 of the project to be trained and specialize on the following Automobile brands Rang-Rover, Ford, Benz, Honda, Toyota, Nissan, Land-Rover, BMW, Peugeot, Hyundai, Kia, GMC, TATA and Chevrolet to become self-reliance.
Research shows that the motivation and concentration levels of people, most especially the young ones are much higher in informal youth programs than they are in school (or when hanging out with friends), suggesting an untapped power in youth development programs that can positively impact performances.
… “If education is always to be conceived along the same antiquated lines of mere transmission of knowledge, there is little to be hoped for from it in the bettering of man’s future, for what is the use of transmission of knowledge if the individual’s total development lags behind?”…
… “For all that is valuable in human society depends upon the opportunity for development accorded the individual”
… ““there can be no keener revelation of society’s soul than the way in which it treat its youths because discouraging the youth is simultaneously destroying the Nation””
In this regard it is now paramount that meaningful enrichment and sustainable measures should be put in place such as the TAP Project, to creating an amiable and formidable structure for a sustainable future for Nigeria with the Nigerian youth.
TAP has three structures namely; Intellectual Capacity Building, (ICB) Economic Capacity Building (ECB) Leadership Capacity Building (LCB) and also divided into five categories; which are TAP 2.0, TAP 2.1, TAP 2.2, TAP 2.3, TAP 2.4, TAP 2.5, TAP 2.6, TAP 2.7, TAP 2.8, and TAP 2.9
INTELLECTUAL RENAISSANCE should be made paramount among young Nigerians and can be achieved with meaningful and complete enrichment programmes. Because the illiterates of the 21st century are not just those who can’t read and write only; but also comprises those who cannot unlearn the many lies they have been conditioned to believe and to seek out the hidden knowledge that they have been conditioned to reject
- The Intellectual Capacity Building (ICB); has three Modules
Module One-PSYCHOLOGIC DEVELOPMENT, which is further divided into three areas
Module Two - SOCIAL AND COGNITIVE DEVELOPMENT, which is further divided into nine areas
Module Three - ACADEMIC AND CAREER DEVELOPMENT, which is further divided into four areas
- Economic Capacity Building (ECB); would focus on developmental assets-based youth programs which would be embraced by many private and government entities resulting in a high-level networking organization. This organization will create decent jobs and increase the chances of success for enterprises in Nigeria business spaces, which would foster the actualization of UN-SDGS goal 8, which is decent job creation and goal 9 which is economic growths.
Leadership Capacity Building (LCB); would involve working with young Nigerians to develop the necessary basic leadership skills. Among key areas of focus will include: Innovativeness, Decisiveness. Stress Control, Accepting Criticism, Leadership Task etc.
OTHER AREAS OF FOCUS INCLUDE:
- to create an environment where youth are empowered, heard and engaged as change–makers in their communities
- to develop online and offline networks to equip young people with the skills needed to promote civic engagement and contribute to sustainable social, cultural and Economic development
- to equip youth with the values, attitudes, knowledge and skills needed to counter violent extremism
- to promote exchange, communication and cooperation beyond social, cultural and linguistic boundaries
- to support youth civic engagement and participation on peace building
- to promote human right and intercultural understanding
In an effort towards actualizing these goals 37 young and vibrant Nigerians were brought together in April 2017. Drawn across each state of the federation including FCT-Abuja, and trained to commission and take the vision down to their respective states and localities, with the assistance of REF INDICATORS across the 774 local government areas in Nigeria.
Finally, UNESCO’s medium term strategies urge for a sustainable development process to building strategic partnerships both at global and national levels in line with the Paris declaration for Aid effectiveness and UNESCO’s Operational strategy on youth allowing us and our partners to benefits from numerous different perspectives and area of expertise for easy attainment of United Nations global goals and counting on the support of those that have the interest in the future development of Nigerian youths and the country as a whole to consider this as a call to action.